As we celebrate this year’s Earth Day, here are five facts about golf and the sport’s focus on the environment.
- Golf courses are professionally-managed landscapes where environmental protection and preservation are important – from using water and nutrients efficiently to implementing improved methods of erosion control.
- In general, the golf industry strives to deliver firm playing surfaces that are better for everyone and improve the bottom line. More than two-thirds of golf courses report that they are keeping turfgrass drier than in the past.
- The golf industry is continually investing in research to identify drought-tolerant grasses and improve water conservation through best management practices.
- Golf courses provide habitats for wildlife, including a number of protected species.
- Many golf courses make use of recycling programs to reduce and reuse.