The National Facility Awards for Junior Golf program has been developed to recognize the critical role that golf facilities across our country play in the development of young Canadian golfers. A series of awards have been created to help recognize the outstanding contributions the golf facilities are making to junior golf on an annual basis.
Junior Golf Opportunity Award
Awarded to a facility that provides exceptional access and membership opportunities for junior golfers. Special consideration is given to facilities with strong non-family sponsored junior programs and facilities with fundraising programs to help athletes compete at provincial, national, and international competitions.
Competitive Junior Program of the Year
Awarded to a facility or academy program with many junior athletes competing in provincial and national championships and earning strong results in those championships.
Grassroots Junior Program of the Year
Awarded to a facility or academy program that is excelling at creating new junior golfers through local programming.
Tournament Host of the Year
Awarded to a facility that gives back to junior golf by embracing the opportunity to host junior competitions. The facility creates an excellent tournament experience for players and involves the local community through volunteers and fundraising support.
First Tee Program Location of the Year
Awarded to a First Tee Program Location that demonstrates excellent enrollment in First Tee programming and makes a significant impact on growing participation among new juniors within its community.
Nomination and Selection process
- July 28 – Applications open to all individual Golf Canada members and member facilities to nominate worthy facilities for each award category. Facilities are encouraged to apply themselves.
- October 16th – Deadline for Golf Canada to receive all nominations using the online nomination portal.
- October – November – Nominations are reviewed by Golf Canada staff, the Golf Industry Advisory Council, Sport Committee, and Amateur Championships Committee. Members from these groups will be asked to rank nominees using the template provided by the Golf Services department. Committee or Council members with an affiliation to a nominated facility will be recused from discussions relating to that facility.
- January 2024 – February 2024 – Staff from Golf Canada’s Golf Services, Amateur Championships, and High-Performance departments will work together to review all feedback and determine a finalists within each category. Staff with an affiliation to a nominated facility will be recused from discussions relating to that facility. A short list of finalists will be published in each category.
- February 2024 – Award winners will be announced and recognized at Golf Canada’s Annual General Meeting.
- March 2024 – Awards will be shipped to each recipient and a press release will be created for all award winners.
- Junior Golf Opportunity Award Winner: Sawmill Golf Club
- Competitive Junior Program of the Year: Académie de Golf Fred Colgan
- Grassroots Junior Program of the Year: Blomidon Golf and Country Club
- Tournament Host of the Year: Royal Regina Golf Club
- Youth on Course Program Location of the Year: Shaganappi Point Golf Course
- First Tee Canada Program Location of the Year: Club de Golf Municipal Dallaire