Jump start the season with these dynamic yoga warm-up exercises. Dynamic Conditioning Makes All The Difference. Continuous, dynamic movements are the most effective in preparing the body for golf. Dynamic stretches “alert” the neuromuscular skeletal system for the explosive golf swing more effectively than static stretching. Dynamic movement raises core temperature, coordinates movement and breathing (great for rhythm and tempo), and supports mental focus.
YOGA FOR GOLFERS (YFG) FOCUSES ON:
- quieting the mind and proper breathing techniques to achieve focus and relaxation.
- achieving body symmetry, balance, and alignment through the swing to increase power.
- enhancing flexibility and core development to improve mobility, strength, power and endurance.
FOR ALL GOLFERS, AT ALL LEVELS, YFG ELEVATES YOUR GAME TO GO THE EXTRA DISTANCE. THE PROGRAM:
- improves performance beyond golf lessons/instruction.
- focuses on biomechanics of the body through the swing.
- enables golfers to play their best game, right from the first tee.
- extends the body’s ability to play, minimizing discomforts and risk of injury; and
- improves the body’s mobility, allowing golfers to play better, longer, with more confidence and increased enjoyment.
BENEFITS OF THE YOGA FOR GOLFERS DYNAMIC WARM-UP:
- increases blood flow to the muscles
- increases the core body temperature
- prepares the neuromuscular system, supporting better coordination.
- promotes flexibility and strength
- reduces the risk of injury; and
- prepares you mentally and boosts confidence.
DYNAMIC STRETCHING TIPS:
- Breathe in and out through the nose.
- Flex or engage the opposing muscle. For example, while stretching the hamstrings, engage or flex the quads.
- Stretch before, during, and after your round to develop and maintain optimal muscle balance.
- Don’t bounce in the stretch
- Avoid stretching injured or overstretched, hyper-flexible joints and muscles.
- Be sure you don’t continue if you experience any pain in the muscle. Slight discomfort is acceptable, pain is not. As with all physical fitness programs, be sure to have your physician’s clearance to participate.
Proper breathing prepares the body and mind for the explosive nature of the golf swing. It also better connects the mind and body to facilitate greater focus, one pointed concentration, and a greater sense of “feel” in the short game. In the dynamic warm-up, remember to focus on continuous breathing.
Ongoing adherence to the program is more important than duration. For maximum benefit, practice 3-4x per week in the pre-season, and before each round of golf during the season.
For more info: www.yogaforgolfers.com
|Jump start your season with these dynamic stretches
This article was originally published in the April 2015 edition of Golf Canada Magazine. To view the full magazine, click the image to the left.