In partnership with CN, this past Tuesday featured Golf Canada’s 5th annual Future Links National Event that was conducted on-site at the CN Canadian Women’s Open at the Royal Mayfair Golf Club in Edmonton.
The event consisted of 23 juniors from across Canada that qualified for the finals amongst a field larger than 3,200 golfers. These lucky juniors qualified for the event based on their elite status on the CN Future Links National Leaderboard, which compiles all the results that were submitted from clubs throughout the year.
The top scoring juniors as of July 23rd at 12pm EST were categorized into the age groups below:
- Girls 11 and under (5 players)
- Boys 11 and under (5 players)
- Girls 12 to 14 (4 players)
- Boys 12 to 14 (4 players)
- Girls 15 to 18 (3 players)
- Boys 15 to 18 (3 players)
The skills challenge is compiled of four different sections: driving, iron play, chipping and putting. Each junior is graded according to the scoring template, which weighs each of the four categories evenly.
… and the winners are!
- Will Bellamy, Links O’Tay Golf Course (Boys 11 and under)
- Vincent Poirier, Vallee du Richelieu (Boys 12 to 14)
- Cameron Brennan, Copper Creek Academy (Boys 15-18)
- Alexis McMurray, Glen Abbey Golf Club(Girls 11 and under)
- Laura Wong, Seymour Golf Club (Girls 12-14)
- Jaclyn Lee, Glencoe Golf and Country Club (Girls 15-18)
Cameron Brennan and Jaclyn Lee earned exemptions into their regional CN Future Links Championships next season for winning their respective 15-18 age category.
Click here for photos from the event.
In addition to the skills challenge, each junior is invited to partake in Wednesday’s Walk With a Pro event. After a random draw, each junior is paired up with an LPGA professional and will essentially be their honourary caddie for the hole. This could mean anything from carrying the bag, advising club choice or even taking the first putt.
More than 1 million junior golfers have successfully participated in Future Links programming since its inception in 1996. For information, visit www.cnfuturelinks.com.