TORONTO – Tom Cameron of Oromocto, N.B., carded a 1-under 70 that included five birdies to take sole possession of the lead following the opening-round of the 2019 Canadian Men’s Senior Championship at Cedar Brae Golf Club.
There was no doubting Cedar Brae proved itself a solid test as Cameron was the lone competitor in the stellar 156-player field to sit under par. The average score on the day was 8-over 79.
Four players share second including three Canadians and an American. Garth Collings of Matlock, Man., Toronto’s Robert Gibson, Ken Griffith of Red Deer, Alta. and Gene Elliott of West Des Moines, IA all carded even par 71s to sit a single shot off the lead.
A 65-and-over Super Senior Championship is running concurrently throughout the championship, crowning a champion after 72 holes of play. After 18 holes of play, Ken Warwick of Winnipeg led the field after a 1-over par 72.
Warwick, a member of Niakwa Country Club who is President-elect of Golf Manitoba, holds a 2-shot lead over Vancouver’s Doug Roxburgh and Oakville, Ont.’s Lars Melander. Roxburgh – a Canadian Golf Hall of Famer and the reigning Canadian Super Senior Champion – and Melander shot matching 74s Tuesday.
An inter-provincial team competition is also being contested over the tournament’s first two rounds.
Team Alberta combined for a team score of 144 (+2) to share the lead with Team Ontario.
Team Alberta is comprised of Red Deer’s Ken Griffith, Edmonton’s Brian Laubman and Frank Van Dornick of Camrose, while Team Ontario consists of David Greenaway from Barrie, Robert Gibson of Toronto and Ashley Chinner of Brooklin.
The team title will come down to the wire Wednesday afternoon as Team British Columbia and Team Quebec are just two-shots back of the leaders at 146 (+4).
Following the opening two rounds, the field will be reduced to the low 70 players and ties.
The individual champion receives an exemption into the 2020 U.S. Senior Amateur championship to be contested at The Country Club of Detroit, in Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.
2019 CANADIAN MEN’S SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND 1 LEADERS
- Tom Cameron, Oromocto, NB, *37-33-70 -1
2. Garth Collings, Matlock, MB, *35-36-71 E
2. Gene Elliott, West Des Moines, IA, *35-36-71 E
2. Robert Gibson, Toronto, ON, *35-36-71 E
2. Ken Griffith, Red Deer, AB, *35-36-71 E
2019 CANADIAN MEN’S SUPER-SENIOR DIVISION ROUND 1 LEADERS
- Ken Warwick, Winnipeg, MB, *36-36-72 +1
2. Lars Melander, Oakville, ON, *35-39-74 +3
2. Doug Roxburgh, Vancouver, BC, *36-38-74 +3
4. Frank Van Dornick, Camrose, AB, *35-40-75 +4
5. Lance Lundy, Pemberton, BC, *40-36-76 +5
5. Bruce McEwen, Scarborough, ON, *37-39-76 +5
5. Michel Roy, Québec, QC, *37-39-76 +5
5. Paul Simson, Raleigh, NC, *35-41-76 +5
INTER-PROVINCIAL FIRST ROUND LEADERS
- Team Alberta – Ken Griffith (Red Deer), Brian Laubman (Edmonton), Frank Van Dornick (Camrose) * 70-74-144 +2
1. Team Ontario – David Greenaway (Barrie), Robert Gibson (Toronto), Ashley Chinner (Brooklin) * 71-73-144 +2
3. Team British Columbia – Doug Roxburgh (Vancouver), Jim Shaw (Sooke), Sandy Harper (Nanaimo) *71-75-146 +4
3. Team Quebec – Jean-Guy Garnier (Lévis), Peter Harrison (Ottawa), Serge Amyot (St. Constant) *73-73-146 +4
5. Team Manitoba – Mike Walker (Winnipeg), Bruce North (Carman), Garth Collings (Matlock) *73-76-149 +7
Additional information, including a full list of competitors and scores can be found here.